According to the rules of all things hurricane, the appropriate time to eat your hurricane snacks are:
1. When power flickers
2. When power goes off
3. When the main body of the storm arrives regardless of the current state of power.
4. When an actual tornado warning (not watch) has been issued.
5. When there is standing water in the street in front of your home.
6. When the timing between the visual lightning and thunder is measured in nano seconds.
7. When MTV actually plays a music video.
8. When the Weather Channel actually provides useful information.
9. When Atlanta Falcons actually show up to play football.
Nothing in this protocol precludes the consumption of Hurricane Alcohol.